18 Sep 2009: Arriving at Nanjing

The plane landed at Nanjing Lukou International Airport at around 10 pm. Yes, it arrived early.

An announcement came, something like "Please remain seated as officials will board the plane to check the temperature of all passengers. The 'qualifying' (safe) temperature was 37.5 degree celsius. Wow! In my heart, I thought, it's so stringent and so, it's not just say say (as reported in the newspapers). So, sat down; while the local chinese already stood at the aisle. So kiasu! and the entire flight cabin filled with noise and could sense the impatience! Hey, why so impatient?

After a while, the line started moving. So, they are not coming up to the cabin to check the temperature? Huh? Hey, make announcement! Stood up, but the passenger in front blocked the way and attempted to remove the luggage from the overhead cabin. Then came the very first rude encounter since arrival - the impatient woman scolded, "Move!". That triggered my reply, "Can't you see that's someone blocking my way!" "No manners!" my heart scolded. Why so rude!? If you've wanted to be amongst the first to leave, by all means get a front seat if you were capable of!

That episode did not end here... the next was the luggage collection belt where the locals simply pushed their way through.... Hey, hey, hey... you mean, by pushing people aside, your luggage will come first? And the loud dialogues again! Hey, you mean whom you were talking to was half deaf or totally deaf? The whole world needs to hear what you say? Could find any demonstration of graciousness in the airport.

The area simply turned into a market place, from far, people calling, "老黄" here, "老黄" there. Yes, yes,... "老黄", you are the first person I "know" since I touched down! For sure, I was caught in moments of shock! You mean I've arrived at an International Airport??? or I was in a fish market?

OK.. despite of these episodes, the immigration clearance was a smooth one. Oh yes, something interesting at the back of the immigration card. So, there's a "new definition" to the word "alien"?

Leaving the Airport to the Hotel...

Saw my name, clearly printed on a sheet of A4 paper held up by a man in his late 20s. Yes! That's my airport transfer. Well, it' was a pleasant ride to the hotel, giving me sometime to recover from the shock. Well, the one-way ride cost me RMB300. Anyway, as long as I could reach the hotel safely, I don't mind paying a little more (that's my basic operating principle when overseas). The driver was chatty, sharing that the hotel is one of the finest in Nanjing, and surprising, it's owned by a Singaporean! (well, I forgot the name already). Anyway, he also mentioned that's where MM Lee stayed when he visited Nanjing. Wow! It can't be too bad, afterall (Thanks to Ching Ya's recommendation!).

Another good news! The Internet connection in the hotel is free!!! Wow! I love it! Couldn't wait to do the setting up - not too difficult (If I could do it, it's not a challenge to others! I'm sure.) However, to my horror, the login pages of Blogger and Facebook could not be accessed! Not even my blogs!!! (Basically, they blocked everything bearing the name "Blogger", I think). Also encountered problem with PICASA through managed to login... No Facebook either! (Luckily I'm no longer addicted to Farming, else will be so distress!!! hahaha) What a shame! The consolation was, I could access email and GChat... and diligently, I sent an email over to Singapore at around 1 am.

1 comment:

  1. Chinese speaks like that in China generally. They have the genes of barbarians? I think. No sense of graciousness. Its the same when I was in Beijing...They are a bunch of impatience brat...sorry to say that. Maybe its their culture...So, my bf and I have decided no more trips to China in the next 10 yrs. Maybe going with a tour group would be different as everything would have been arranged. Heehee...the previous time that I went Shanghai and suzhou was alright as we were treated like VIPs and no such encounters. :)

    ReplyDelete